Here’s how to make bison jerky.
northfork bison jerky is delicious. It’s a healthy high energy snack that can be packed and munched almost anywhere.
This recipe originally comes Vancouver butcher Sebastian Cortez of Sebastian & Co. Fine Organic Meats for beef jerky.
It can easily be adapted into bison jerky.
Bison Jerky is delicious. Here are directions and ingredients to make the best Buffalo Jerky
We are going to use Eye of Round or brisket from Northfork Bison’s organic cuts of meat to make the Jerky
Eye of round is a less expensive cut of meat. The cooking time is long about 6 hours. So pick a day you’ll be staying home.
Today is a great day for it, since we are having a huge winter blizzard / freezing rain / high winds.
This jerky is slightly spicy jerky
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: About 2 pounds
- 1 4-pound bison eye of round or chuck
- 4 cups soy sauce
- 12 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 10 dried jalapeño peppers, ground
- 8 dried chipotle peppers, ground
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Trim any fat off the eye of round, and slice into ¼-inch thick strips, about 4 inches long and 1 inch wide.
- Combine the bison with all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 days.
- Pre-heat oven to 175°
- Remove the bison from the marinade, and lay the strips on a wire rack. Place the rack on a foil-lined baking sheet, and bake 6 to 8 hours, until the beef is dry but still flexible.
- Store the jerky in sealable plastic bags or an air-tight container.
And voila, jerky. Great to take along on hikes or X-Country skiing.