Oven Roast Wild Boar Steaks with Potatoes and Garlic
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 6 wild boar steaks
- 1 large sprig of rosemary, in two
- 85ml/3 fl oz olive oil plus a little for frying
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 900g/2lb potatoes, peeled and cut roughly into 2.5cm/1 inch chunks
- 150ml/5 fl oz dry white wine
- 1-teaspoon thyme leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pre-heat the oven to 180°c/350°F. Brown the steaks in a little olive oil over a high heat. Lay them overlapping in a roomy ovenproof dish and fill the gaps around them with potatoes.
Sprinkle over the thyme leaves, tuck in the sprigs of rosemary between the steaks and smear the garlic around the meat and potatoes.
Season generously with salt and pepper and drizzle the white wine over.
Now trickle over 85ml/3 fl oz olive oil and cover the dish with foil.
Bake for one to one and a half hours until the meat and the potatoes are tender.
Raise the heat to 230°c/450°F, uncover the dish and return to the oven for a final 10-15 minutes to brown.
- Suitable methods for cooking filets and steaks include pan–frying, sautéing, grilling, broiling, baking, and stir–frying. It is best to use a non stick pan and/or cooking spray. Special care should be taken not to overcook the meat. An internal temperature of 145 degrees is recommended for filets and steaks and 160 degrees for ground wild boar