Wood Grilled Bacon Wrapped Bison Filets with Plantain Fufu, Eggplant Parmesan Timbale and Smoked Tomato Juice
For the bison:
4 – 8oz (225 g) Bison steaks
For the chili rub:
- ¼ cup (60 ml) toasted cumin
¼ cup (60 ml) black pepper
¼ cup (60 ml) toasted coriander
4 each slices of smoked bacon
½ cup (125 ml) Molido
2 tbsp. (30 ml) brown sugar
Grind all the ingredients together. Season bison with salt (to taste). Cover bison evenly with rub. Wrap with one piece of the bacon.
Secure with a skewer. Grill until desired temperature. Medium rare is the best.
For the eggplant timbale:
- 8 each – ¼” slices of eggplant, marinated in Balsamic, crushed garlic, olive oil, onion, basil, black pepper and salt and grilled.
- 4 each – red pepper, toasted, seeded, peeled and cut in 3″ rounds
- 8 halves oven dried tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 ml) freshly grated Parmesan
- On a flat surface, place 4 pieces of eggplant, followed by a piece of red pepper on each, then tomato and Parmesan. Repeat this procedure
one more time. Place the skewer in oven at 350ºF (180ºC) for 5 minutes.
For the fufu:
¼ cup (60 mi) red palm oil
2 semi-ripe plantains, peeled cored and steamed
½ medium onion
Salt & pepper to taste
Sauté onion in palm oil for 3 minutes. Add to plantain and mash. Season with salt and pepper. Add chopped jalapeño if desired.
For the smoked tomato juice:
- 1 each – bulb garlic, roasted
- 3 cups (750 ml) veal stock
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) canola oil
- 2 cups (500 ml) merlot
- 2 each – thyme sprig
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) cumin
- 1 each – onion, carrots, stick of celery, all diced
- 11 tsp. (5ml) coriander
- 6 each – plum tomatoes, smoked then blackened on a hot skillet
- 1 each Chile pepper
Caramelize onion in oil. Add carrots, celery, spices, chile and herb. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add wine. Reduce by 1/3 then add the stock, tomatoes and roasted garlic. Reduce by ½. Strain. Season with salt (to taste).
Mold the plantain in round mold and place in center of plate. Mount the eggplant timbale on top of the plantain. After cutting the bison in three pieces, place symmetrical around the tower. Sauce each piece of bison.
This recipe bas been produced by the Canadian Bison Association, and sponsored by Agri-Food Trade