Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) | Prep time 15 minutes | Cook time 1 hour
Roast Quail is healthy, tender, and delicious.
These tiny birds have a lot of flavour for their size and suit both quick or slow cooking.
- 4 Quails
- 4 tbs (50 gr) 2 oz butter melted
- 50 ml. 1/cup brandy
- 800 gr squash sliced seeds taken out
- 2 tablespoons flavoured oil such as hazelnut cashew,or avocado or olive oil if you don’t have flavoured oil
- 80 gr. (1/2 cup) cashews
- thyme sprigs
- salt and fresh ground peeper
- mixed greens to serve
- Season the quails with salt and pepper then brush with melted butter
- Heat a large casserole (dutch oven) over medium heat, add the quails and sear for 5-10 minutes or until coloured on all sides. Pour in the brandy and set alight. Simmer for 5 minutes and reduce the cooking juices, basting the quails frequently
- Transfer the quails to a large oven proof dish. Arrange slices of butternut squash around them. Spoon over the oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes basting frequently.
- Place the quails and slices of squash on a serving plate sprinkle with lightly crushed cashews. Decorate with thyme sprigs
Excellent with a side of cranberries, prunes, stew cherries or grapes
Serve with salad of mixed greens