Prep time: 15 minutes | cook time: 45 minutes | Preheat oven to 350 °F (180°C)
A Cornish hen is smaller than a chicken 1 kg (16-20 ounces) per bird making for perfect portions for one adult. Roast and serve one to each of the guests at your next dinner party? Use any chicken recipe for these delicate and tender flavoured birds. Just follow the cooking directions for Cornish Game hen recipe below. Excellent with roast potatoes, root vegetables and a salad on the side. Try Cornish hen with one of our various sauces.
- 2 Cornish hens, halved
- 4 tbs butter
- 3 tbs honey
- 4 tbs chilli powder
- 1 tb orange juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter and stir in honey and chili powder; mixing well.
- Stir in orange juice, salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Cut each hen into two halves.
- Rinse well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place hens in baking dish, skin side down, and place in oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Turn hens over and baste generously with all of the mixture.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until well browned.
- Let rest for 10 minutes but tent aluminum foil to retain heat.
A light red wine is preferable for all feathered game. Burgundy or Red Rhône wines are the best overall match with game birds.