Ostrich meat has a mild flavor so they’re perfect when smothered in a creamy sauce. The sauce recipe here is everything to love: Cheese, port and cream. There is no way to go wrong with this one.
- 4 Ostrich Steaks
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- ¼ cup port
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons creamy blue cheese
- Fresh-ground pepper
- Rinse ostrich and pat dry.
- In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, melt butter.
- When hot, add ostrich in a single layer.
- Brown on each side, cooking until rare or medium-rare (red in center, cut to test), 4 to 5 minutes total, or to taste (well-done ostrich is dry).
- Remove pan from heat, quickly transfer the meat to a platter, and keep it warm.
Making the Sauce
- Add port, cream, and cheese to pan
- stir over high heat until reduced to about 1/3 cup.
- Pour sauce over the meat.
- Season to taste with pepper and salt