This is a Classic Stew Recipe. Change it Up to Include Bison, Wild Boar or Elk.
Our elk, bison and wild boar stew meat are perfect for stews. Let the flavors of the potatoes and carrots meld with the velvety gravy of our wild game meats. So tender, the flavor is delicious. Perfect for a cold rainy night or a blustery winter day.
- 1 kg (2 lbs) bison stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery (1-inch lengths)
- In a Dutch oven, brown bison in batches in oil; drain.
- Return all meat to the pan.
- Add onions, tomatoes, broth, tapioca, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover stew and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Stir in carrots, potatoes and celery.
- Bake, covered, 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Discard the bay leaf